Is it recyclable?
Before throwing your trash away, check the Recycling page to see if Frederick County offers a recycling program for it.
The Frederick County Public Works Department operates a state-of-the-art Subtitle D sanitary landfill. Some types of waste are only accepted at certain times, at certain locations, or under certain conditions. Check the Special Collection Waste page for more information.
- Monday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Saturdays: 7:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Sundays: closed
- 2014 closings:
- January 1 (New Year's Day): closed.
- January 17 (Lee/Jackson Day): open.
- January 20 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day): close at noon.
- February 17 (President's Day): close at noon.
- May 2 (Apple Blossom): close at noon.
- May 26 (Memorial Day): closed.
- July 4 (Independence Day): closed.
- October 13 (Columbus Day): close at noon.
- November 11 (Veterans Day): close at noon.
- November 26 (Thanksgiving): close at noon.
- November 27 (Thanksgiving): closed.
- November 28 (Thanksgiving): close at noon.
- December 24 (Christmas Eve): close at noon.
- December 25 (Christmas): closed.
- January 1, 2015 (New Year's Day): closed.
The Landfill's Citizens' Convenience Center is open 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday - Friday, and 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays.
Citizens' Convenience Centers have different hours from the Landfill. See the Citizens' Convenience Centers page.
Citizens' Convenience Centers
The Landfill also features a Citizens' Convenience Center for waste disposal and recycling. See the Citizens' Convenience Centers page for hours, directions, and information.
New and Part-Time Residents
New to Frederick County? Does your vehicle bear out-of-area tags and decals? You may need a permission letter to gain access to our citizens' convenience sites. You may request the letter on this website.
Several private firms offer curbside pick-up for a nominal fee. Find them on the List of Haulers.
Businesses may establish an account prior to utilizing the landfill or pay at the window. Applications may be obtained online or from the treasurer's office at 107 N. Kent St. A credit check may apply. Only waste which originates from Frederick and Clarke counties and the City of Winchester is accepted at the regional landfill.
All landfill users and commercial haulers may pay at the time of disposal via MasterCard or Visa, check card or check. Infrequent users of the facility are encouraged to take advantage of these payment options, thus eliminating the need for monthly invoicing. Cash will not be accepted. Citizens hauling 1,000 pounds or more of debris to the landfill in a single load will be charged for the entire load at the time of disposal. The municipal tipping rate of $12 per ton shall apply.
||price per ton
| Municipal sludge
| Petroleum contaminated soil
| Special waste